The first step is to create a Report. To do that, you should head to the Reports tab.
1. Click on Reports on the top navigation. If Reports tab is not visible, you should either change your User Level to Intermediate or add the tab manually.
2. Press the New Report button on the top to create a new Report
3. You can most easily find the existing reports from All Folders.
Read more about Creating Reports from Salesforce Help.
First, we need to select the Report Type. This determines which objects and fields can be used in the report.
In this example we will build a report on the amount of Plans created each week.
1. Write Plans to the search bar.
2. Select Plans below it.
3. Click Continue to proceed to the Report Builder.
! You can find report types object wise on the list. Custom Fingertip Report Types such as Plans and Decisions are listed under the category Other Reports.
Read more about Report Types on Salesforce Help.
Welcome to the Report Builder! Here you can build advanced reports based on the data entered in Fingertip.
1. Click on the pencil next on the top to rename your report. Let’s call it: Plans Created Per Week.
2. Then click on the bar on the left to show all the fields available in the current report type (Plans).
What is the information needed for a report on the amount of plans created per week?
At the bare minimum you would need:
1. The date when the Plan was created.
2. The Plan Name.
Let’s start by adding those fields:
1. Plan Name is added by default, no change needed there.
2. Drag and drop Plan: Created Date from the list of all fields to the right side of the name field.
3. Click on Run to view your new Report.
Nice job! You now have a report with two columns: Plan Name and Created Date.
We should save our current progress.
1. Click on the arrow on the top right corner and select Save.
2. Fill in the name, unique name (will be auto-filled based on the report name, does not allow special characters or spaces) and the description.
3. Click on Save.
4. Press the Edit button on the header to return to the editor.
Next, we should group the Plans by the week they were created on.
We already have the Created Date added as a column, but we need to use it as a grouping instead:
1. Click the small arrow on the top of the Column Plan: Created Date and select Group Rows by This Field. Notice how the column moved to left and appeared as a group row on the left side panel.
2. Instead of showing Plans created each day, we want to look at each week: Click on the small arrow again and go to Group Date By... and select Calendar Week.
Now we have a report, which shows Plans created within a week. We still need to determine what plans are shown and from what time period.
This can be edited from the Filters tab:
1. Click on Filters to view the current filters that are applied.
2. These two filters appear in all reports. By default the report shows only records that you own.Change the Filters to All Plans and All Time, so that you can see all the plans you have access to.
3. Click on Save & Run to view your Report.
Read more about The Report Builder on Salesforce Help.
Your report on Plans Created Per Week is ready to use!
The report viewer also allows you to:
A. Subscribe to receive the report in your email based on conditions or a time schedule.
B. Export the report as an excel or .csv file.
C. Add the report to a Dashboard. Dashboards can hold multiple reports and you can use charts or tables to visualize the reports.